I am excited for the opening of the 2019-2020 school year. In a few short weeks, the campus will be filled with students participating in fall sports followed by the opening of school. I cannot wait for the students to return to the middle school!
We recently mailed out 2019-2020 student schedules, Southern Middle School’s Chromebook Guidelines & Insurance Policy Signature form, Children’s On-Line Privacy and Protection Act (COPPA) information and signature form, the 2019-2020 Student Handbook Sign-Off signature form, and school supply list.
Noted were several important dates that will be helpful as we kick off another great year of school! The dates are as follows:
August 14th: Parent 1:1 Chromebook Training at 6:00 pm in the SMS Auditorium
- Parents are encouraged to attend this session to learn about the vision, instructional use, and care and insurance options for the Chromebook. All information shared at the Chromebook Training will be shared via email with parents.
August 19th: Open House
- We will continue to stagger the start times for SMS’s Open House to allow the 7th grade students more space and time to get acclimated to the SMS building. 7th grade students will have the opportunity to arrive at 12:00 pm to meet their homeroom teacher, get their locker assignments, and tour the school. 8th grade students will have the opportunity to arrive at 1:00 pm to do the same.
- 7th grade - 12:00-2:00 pm
- 8th grade - 1:00-3:00 pm
If you cannot attend the open house, the students will receive this information on the first day of school. The SYCSD Choral Boosters is sponsoring the sale of italian ice and ice cream from 11:00 - 3:00 pm for the Open House. Prices will range from $3.00- $5.00.
August 21st: First Day of School
- For the first day of school, Southern Middle School students will participate in transition and team building activities to establish a solid rapport with their peers, faculty, staff and administration. I would encourage all students to dress comfortably the first day of school due to the activities planned for the day. All 8th grade team building activities will take place outside (weather permitting).
- The grade level activities are listed below:
- 7th grade students:
- Students will participate in activities facilitated by our WEB (Where Everyone Belongs) advisors and leaders. WEB links 7th grade students with 8th grade WEB leaders/mentors throughout the school year.
- 8th grade students:
- Students will participate in team building activities with their teachers and peers. Our goal is to encourage a sense of community by allowing students the opportunity to build relationships and make connections.
- 7th grade students:
Also in the mailing was a student supply list that includes items requested by specific teachers. For any teachers not included on this supply list that are on your child’s schedule, I would encourage you to contact them via email. All SMS students will receive an agenda/planner this school year. The student handbook will be available to be viewed on the middle school’s website.
Please be sure to read all of these documents and return the following signature forms to the middle school’s main office, attention Mrs. Mary Pedrick, prior to the start of school or turn them into your child’s homeroom teacher the first day of school:
- Chromebook Guidelines & Insurance Policy Signature form (Include payment if you are purchasing the warranty - checks are to be made payable to SMS). (Chromebook Information and Signature Form are located on SMS website under Parent Portal)
- Children's On-Line Privacy Protection Act (COPPA Form): This act states that parents must be informed about the use of applications used to enhance instruction for students under the age of 13. (Form is located on SMS website under Parent Portal, Student Forms and Information.)
- Student Handbook Sign-off form (Student Handbook and Signature Form are located on SMS website under Parent Portal, Students Forms and Information.)
In addition to this mailing, you will receive another summer mailing the week of August 5th. There are several important forms that need to be reviewed and returned during the first week of school. Please refer to the district calendar, as well as Southern Middle School’s website calendar, for important dates and events. I want to remind everyone that printed district calendars will be sent home with students on the first day of school and will not be included in the summer mailing.
Mrs. Kirby, our school nurse, would like to remind you of some very important HEALTH ROOM information for INCOMING 7th grade students. All students need to have received the following updated examinations-immunizations prior to the start of the 2019-20 school year:
- TDaP (tetanus, diphtheria and acellular Pertussis)
- MCV (meningococcal)
- Dental examination by your dentist may be done up to one year prior to entry into 7th grade.
Please consult your pediatrician to ensure your child is in compliance. If you have any questions regarding these items, please contact Mrs. Kirby at email@example.com or (717) 235-4811 extension 3515.
The SMS Principal’s Advisory and PTSO will meet four times throughout the school year. The first meeting will be on Wednesday, September 11th at 6:30 pm in the SMS Library. The PTSO supports activities, field trips and other initiatives for the students and SMS. I would like to thank Mrs. Stacy Guess who will serve as our PTSO President. If you are interested in attending these meetings, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am looking forward to working with you and your child throughout the 2019-20 school year. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist you or your child by contacting the main office at (717) 235-4811 extension 3500.
Have a great remainder of your summer!
Dr. Reppert, Principal
Follow SMS on Twitter@WarriorsSMS