A La Carte Guidelines
The Southern York County School District participates in the National School Meal Programs. As a participant, the District adheres to the applicable regulations for the sale of meals and snacks to students.
The following procedural rules for the sale of ala carte items are in place:
- All food items will minimally comply with Federal and State requirements. The District evaluates the sale of a la carte items periodically and reserves the right to make changes to the offerings. A la carte items include the purchase of milk, side fruits, and vegetables, entrees, drinks including bottled water, prepackaged snacks, and ice cream.
- Students in grades kindergarten and first grade will be allowed to purchase one prepackaged snack or ice cream item during a meal period. Other a la carte items such as the purchase of a separate milk will not be included in this count.
- Students in grades 2 – 6 will be allowed to purchase up to two prepackaged snacks or ice cream items during a meal period. Other a la carte items such as the purchase of a separate milk will not be included in this count.
- Students in grades k – 6 not purchasing a meal, will be able to purchase prepackaged snacks and ice cream items at approximately 15 minutes after the lunch period begins. This enables meals to be served first and encourages the use of money for the purchase of a balanced meal. The limits noted in #2 and #3 also apply to students that packed their lunch.
- Secondary students, grades 7 – 12, have a more extensive choice of a la carte items to choose from. All items comply with the Federal and State requirements. A la carte purchases are not limited at the secondary level. Students are encouraged to purchase the components of a meal, which is nutritionally balanced.
- All families and students are unique. Parents are encouraged to discuss with their children acceptable a la carte purchasing for their family. For instance, is it okay to purchase a snack every day, once a week, or is snack purchasing not allowable for the family?
- Parents have the right to restrict a la carte purchasing for their students. To add restrictions to a food service account, please contact Trevor Carrington at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-235-4811 x7224.