Updated: May 26, 2020
Dear SYCSD Families,
As our school year comes to a close, we want to make sure that our families/students are aware of food and other resources available to them over the summer. We are fortunate to be able to continue our on-campus school meal program and have an abundance of food pantries which provide support to those in need. We thank them for ALL they are doing to feed our students and families during these unprecedented and challenging times. Please see below for more information regarding school, food pantry, and local businesses offering food resources to families, as well as other resources that may be helpful during these challenging times.
If you are a family wishing to help provide for others, we suggest you make financial donations to local food pantries, so they may replenish their shelves as needed or reach out to local eateries to see how you can support their efforts to provide for those they are serving. Please see our Volunteer/Donation tab for more information regarding how you can help. We will be utilizing school staff for our school meal program.
Southern York County School District Food Distributions - on campus and limited delivery options
*Please note: On Campus School Meal Distributions will continue into the summer, but we have changed the days of the week to Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11AM-12PM at Susquehannock High School starting June 2nd. You do not have to pre-register. Meals are free and are available to ALL students and pre-K students. Please enter from the main entrance to campus, drive up the hill between the middle school and high school, and turn left to enter the bus lane between the high school and parking lot. The meals will be distributed from the second entrance on the left, which is the Auditorium Lobby.
- Bus deliveries of school meals will end on May 26th. Families are encouraged to access the on-campus meals. Families may pick-up meals for other families who may be working or who lack transportation.
- You may apply for Free Reduced Lunch through www.schoolcafe.com. The State of Pennsylvania will be reimbursing families who qualify for FRL $5.70 per day, since schools were closed in PA on March 16, 2020, on an EBT debit card to assist with meals for students. No official deadline has been announced, so it is important that you apply now to see if you qualify, so you are included in this program. Though we are not in school at this time, our FRL percentage may help our district to qualify for some programs that may not otherwise be available to us, and your child may receive free/reduced rates on AP testing and other testing. If your children previously qualified for reduced breakfast/lunch and you have experienced a reduction in income, you may apply again to see if they qualify for free lunch. Applying for the program is easy and can be done online or by paper application. You can complete the application online here: www.schoolcafe.com. Please visit the District’s website for additional information about the Free and Reduced Meal program at the following path: www.sycsd.org/Page/198. Please contact Angelina McCauley, email@example.com, 717-235-4811 ext. 7222 or Trevor Carrington, firstname.lastname@example.org, 717-235-4811 ext. 7224 with any questions, if you need a paper application, or if other assistance is needed.
*Thank you to the following businesses who generously donated bags and boxes for our food distribution!
Giant Food Stores
York Container Company
Food Pantry Distribution Sites/ Times/Locations (Delivery may be available for those without transportation, please contact individual pantries for more information)
- Harvest Food Pantry - Mondays 4-6 PM. Curbside pick-up only. Food available to families once every two weeks and is distributed in front of The Harvest. Drivers are asked to pop their trunk or have it unlocked and food will be placed in your trunk area. Please do not roll down your window. The Dream Center at Grace Fellowship Church, 74 E. Forrest Avenue, Shrewsbury, PA, Call #717-235-8390 with questions or to request emergency assistance at another time.
- Southern York County Food Pantry - Call to register for curbside pick-up only on Tuesdays and Saturdays.. The Pantry is located on the grounds of the host church: St. John The Baptist Catholic Church, 315 N. Constitution Avenue, New Freedom, PA 17349 and housed in the Outreach Center. Call #717-235-6370 to schedule an appointment for pick-up/delivery.
- Southern Community Services/YMCA Southern Branch - 100 Constitution Avenue, Shrewsbury, PA, Call Ginia Bishop or Mike Smith at #717-235-0446 ext. 408 (leave a message and someone will return your call, the pantry is functioning even though the YMCA is closed.)
- Limited delivery service available for seniors/those without transportation or working during these hours.
- Current Pantry hours are as follows:
- Monday - 9 AM - Curbside pick-up only. Line up at 9 AM. They will not remain open past 1 hour, if no one is there to access food. Clients should remain in their car. Please only have one person come, unless you do not have childcare. Please have your trunk or seat open for food items to be placed in your car. They are trying to limit exposure as much as possible.
- Wednesday - 1 PM - Curbside pick-up only. Line up at 1 PM. They will not remain open past 1 hour if no one is there to access food. Clients should remain in their car. Please only have one person come, unless you do not have childcare. Please have your trunk or seat open for food items to be placed in your car. They are trying to limit exposure as much as possible.
- Closed: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
- The Well, 32 Water Street, Glen Rock, PA - Call for assistance at #717-759-8722.
- Offering a free “grab and go” hot meals (Monday-Friday) for the foreseeable future, 11:30 AM-12:30 PM, no registration required(Days subject to change)
- The Well may be able to provide food box delivery for those unable to access other food resources, please call for more information.
- The Lords Lunch - St. John Lutheran Church - 175 E. Main Street, New Freedom, PA 17349, Phone: 717-235-2315
- Tuesday night: Clients must pre-register to receive prepackaged food items
- Monday and Wednesday: Open at noon. Clients do not have to preregister.
- York County Food Bank - follow them on twitter for pop-up food distributions, as well as their regular distributions in York, see below.
- Current Locations/Hours and type of Distribution
- 254 W Princess St #3881, York, PA 17401, Walk-in distribution only, Phone # 717-846-6435 (Tuesdays 3-5 PM)
- New 2nd location at 1094 Haines Road, York, PA 17402 (right next to Salvation Army in East York), drive thru distribution (Tuesdays 2-6 PM)
- Central Penn Food Bank - Call #717-564-1700 for information on local food banks which may best serve your needs
- “York County Families In Need” Facebook Page is also compiling a list of local resources for families in need in York County. https://www.facebook.com/YorkCountyFamiliesInNeed/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARBkmnc1lbJHGB27f0qO0WRKDriaya631jl99O_tAEBaVUS70oH4TPWp4xYaYZkiE4YVMgpXn8IQvlYY
Families who have had reduced incomes due to the impacts of the current closures, may qualify for unemployment benefits, food stamps, medical assistance, cash assistance, housing assistance and/or free or reduced cost internet depending on one’s circumstances. Please see below for related resources.
- Unemployment Claims/State of PA website - https://www.uc.pa.gov/unemployment-benefits/file/Pages/File%20an%20Initial%20Claim.aspx
- You may apply online for state benefits (medical assistance, cash assistance and food stamps) on the COMPASS in PA website by clicking on this link: https://www.compass.state.pa.us/Compass.Web/Public/CMPHome. If you do not have access to a computer, you may call to apply for SNAP (Food Stamps) benefits by phone at #1-877-999-5964
- York County Human Services has shared the following countywide resource with the public. This is a central location that includes information and resources for businesses/employees/individuals regarding Unemployment and other resources (ex.housing and healthcare). Please click on www.preparedyork.com for more information. Resources are being added daily.
- Prescription discounts - www.goodrx.com may have discount coupons for your medications
- Internet Access for low income households - York County Human Services shared the following link regarding programs available to families who have low or no income. https://www.digitalinclusion.org/free-low-cost-internet-plans/?fbclid=IwAR1tAAeKkFpOhoj1Ox80RyjYfMkqiRZxIKiNjIwI9TD8q2Z6YmRZIXkSbm8
- United Way 211 - Dial 211 to access information regarding health, human service, community and cultural resources available in your area. Calls are answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.