• The Southern York County School District is located in South Central Pennsylvania along the Maryland border comprising approximately 61 square miles.  The District provides a high quality academic program in grades K-12 for approximately 3,000 public school students.  Elementary education (K-6) is offered in Friendship, Southern, and Shrewsbury Elementary Schools, intermediate education (7-8) is offered at Southern Middle School, and high school education (9-12) is offered at Susquehannock High School.

    The District serves residents of Shrewsbury Township, Codorus Township, Shrewsbury Borough, New Freedom Borough, Glen Rock Borough, and Railroad Borough, a geographic area with a population of approximately 20,000.

    Specific information about programs, finances, and organizations, along with links to useful interactive tools for parents and students, can be accessed through this web site.

    How to Communicate with the School District

    If your inquiry is about your child, first contact the child's teacher.  If you need additional assistance, call the child's counselor or the building principal.  If the counselor is unable to assist you by telephone, he/she will make an appointment at your convenience.  Please do not attempt to see your child's counselor or principal without an appointment.

    If you are not satisfied with the cooperation or response you received, please call the Assistant Superintendent of Schools.  If you are not satisfied with the cooperation or response you receive at this level, please contact the Superintendent of Schools.

    If not satisfied at that level, the concern should be addressed to the Board of School Directors.

    Occasionally parents call School Board Directors initially in an attempt to obtain an answer to a problem or concern.  This creates an unnecessary complication in the resolution process, as the concern must then be redirected through the organization.

    If a resident has a policy request or wishes to present information to the Board of School Directors, a request should be made through the Board Secretary.