A Message From Southern York School District
Dear Parents and Guardians:
We are all deeply saddened by the tragic violence yesterday at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families who have been impacted by this event.
When there is a tragedy such as this, children often experience strong emotions. Please know as you speak with your children about this difficult situation, our counselors are available for support if your family has a need.
Our District strives to create a safe and caring environment by building positive relationships with our students and providing school-wide bullying prevention programs, positive interventions and supports. We also partner with multiple agencies to provide school-based counseling services to students, as needed. We encourage our students to speak to an adult if they see or know of anything alarming in school, in the community, or online.
The safety and security of our students and staff is always our highest priority. We work in cooperation with York County Emergency Management, Pennsylvania State Police, Southern Regional Police, and our Emergency Procedures Committee to make certain we are following best practices in school security.
We want you to know that we have many District-wide measures in place to help support and safeguard our students and staff. Some of these measures include:
- The District employs a full-time school police officer who is visible on all campuses throughout the school day.
- All doors and entrances are locked throughout the day and visitors must be cleared for entrance at the office. All doors are checked regularly throughout the day.
- The District continues to expand the use of video surveillance equipment and monitoring, as needed.
- Detailed emergency plans including building floor plans and aerial views of our buildings and grounds are shared with all emergency responders to help coordinate police efforts.
- Monthly building-wide drills are conducted with all students and staff.
- Ongoing tabletop exercises are conducted in all buildings and are designed to further develop potential emergency responses.
- We contract with Southern Regional Police Department to provide additional safety and security support throughout the District.
- These plans, drills, and procedures are reviewed on a regular basis by York County Emergency Management, Pennsylvania State Police, Southern Regional Police, and our Emergency Procedures Committee to make certain we are following current best practices in school security.
Thank you for your continued support of Southern York County School District. Please do not hesitate to contact your school principal, or my office at 717-235-4811 ext. 7234 with any questions or concerns regarding the safety and security of our students and staff.
Sandra Lemmon, Superintendent